We always get a suggestion from the experts that to avoid the data loss we must take our data backup on the different storage media like USB drives but it will be a big hassle if on accessing our USB drive shows a message “Please Insert a Disk into USB Drive”.
On checking the properties of the drive, the Used space and the Free Space shows 0 bytes.
The possible reason behind this are one of the following
- There will be presence of certain corrupted files on the media.
- There can be virus attack which corrupts the files present in the drive.
- Improper use of drive(e.g. forceful ejection of drive from USB port)
- USB controller of the PC may be unable to detect and load the firmware of the drive.
- USB drive attempts to load a drive letter which is already assigned to one of partition.
Now the main concern is to regain the lost data present in the drive. We will recommend some of the best solutions to get out of this issue in an easy manner.
Solution 1 : Assigning a drive letter to the drive
Step 1: Press Windows key + R from the key board. It will open a Run dialog. Type diskmgmt.msc and Click OK.
It will open a Disk Management screen. From the left most corner of the problematic drive, press right button of your mouse and click on Change Drive Letter and Paths….
Now click on Change button and assign a new drive letter to the drive.
Now try to open the USB drive and check your files.
Solution 2: Update the USB driver
You can update the USB driver to find a fix for the problem. This will work in most of the cases.
Step1: Press Windows key + R from the key board. It will open a Run dialog. Type devmgmt.msc and Click OK.
It will open a Device Management screen. Now locate the Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand the tree.
Now Right click on the USB Mass Storage Device and choose the option to update the driver.
Now try to access the drive for your files.
In case the above two solution fails then it might be possible that the file system of your drive is lost/Corrupted. In order to fix them, your data will be lost. We suggest you to recover your data using any data recovery software before following further solutions.
Solution 3: Formatting a USB drive
- Press Windows key + R from the key board. It will open a Run dialog. Type diskmgmt.msc and Click OK.
- Now there are two scenarios i.e. file system is available or a file system is not available.
- In case 1, select your drive and press right click of your mouse. Click on New Simple Volume.
- Click Next in Wizard.
- On the Specify Volume Size screen, Enter the size in case you want to change the size of the partition otherwise click Next.
- On Assign Drive Letter or Path screen, select the drive letter in case you want to change the selected Drive Letter otherwise click Next.
- On Format Partition screen, select the option” Format this volume with the following settings” and click Next.
- On clicking Finish, your USB drive will be formatted as per the options you selected and you can use your drive again to store the files.
- In Case 2, select your drive and press right click of your mouse. Click on Format.
- Now on a Format dialog, Select the Volume Label, File System as per your requirement and click OK.
- Your USB drive will be formatted as per the options you selected and you can use your drive again to store the files.
Solution 4: Use of Diskpart commands
Sometimes it happens that the corruption in your drive is very complex and it will not allow you to format the drive as per the steps provided above.
Now you need to format the drive at a low level
- Search for the “Command Prompt” and run it as an Admin mode by selecting “Run As Administrator”
- Now enter the below command one by one by pressing “Enter” after every command.
select disk <Disk Number> (Disk Number is the disk number assigned to your USB drive)
create partition primary
Select partition 1
Solution 5: Using Manufacturer’s Repair Utility
USB manufacturer website also provides their utility to repair the errors. These utilities needs an internet correction to download the firmware of the manufacturer. Please make sure while running these utilities don’t stop the process in between otherwise your USB drive will get damage.
This error scope is not only limited up to USB drives. It can occur in your SD memory card or external hard drive. We have a complete belief that you will have a solution to your problem after following above solutions.